Seven die as a result of carbon monoxide leak in Tbilisi

At the scene on Ketevan Tsamebuli Ave, Tbilisi. Screenshot from Imedi TV live report., 31 Jan 2019 - 17:21, Tbilisi,Georgia

UPDATED: 17:21

Tbilisi Mayor Kakha Kaladze arrived at the incident scene shortly ago. 

He offered his condolences to the families of the dead adding that sometimes incidents occur due to the carelessness of companies but that civilians must also be careful.

Kaladze also said that regulations must be made stricter when it comes to gas and electricity infrastructure in buildings. 

“It is hard to me to say who is responsible. It is obvious we have problems in this respect,’’ he has declared, adding it is strictly prohibited to instal outdoor burning heaters in closed areas.

He says Tbilisi City Hall encourages people to instal gas detectors at home, and added that the practice of installing heaters should be left to professionals.

A residential building in Didi Digomi, Tbilisi, where natural gas blast claimed 4 lives on January 16. Photo: Nino Alavidze/

UPDATED: 15:38

KazTransGaz has just declared the apartment’s water heater had been illegally and improperly installed.

Company representative Davit Khitarishvili has told reporters that company employees checked and disconnected the water heater earlier which had been incorrectly installed. 

The gas supplier company has also presented a document confirming the termination of gas supply to the apartment in March 2018. 

Deputy Tbilisi Mayor Sopio Khuntsaria has offered her condolences to the families of the dead, expressing regret that the tragedy has taken place despite preventative efforts.

EARLIER: 14:51

Seven people have died as a result of a carbon monoxide leak in a Tbilisi apartment located at 67 Ketevan Tsamebuli Avenue. 

The victims were allegedly working at the construction site of a branch of Liberty Bank. Their bodies were found on the 7th floor of the building where they were all renting an apartment. 

Health Minister Davit Sergeenko has stated that a carbon monoxide leak was definitely the cause of death. 

Police officers, emergency workers and rescuers have been mobilised at the scene. 

Employees of the gas company that provides services to the building are checking the local infrastructure. 

More details to follow.