738 wrongly installed gas devices detected in Tbilisi last month

Gas leaks are a frequent cause of death in Georgia during cold seasons. Photo: Nino Alavidze/Agenda.ge.

Agenda.ge, 08 Dec 2021 - 15:20, Tbilisi,Georgia

The staff of Tbilisi Energy detected 738 wrongly installed gas devices in the capital city in the last month alone, which frequently cause fatal accidents in the country, especially during the cold season. 

Tbilisi Energy says that 9,802 consumers were checked in the reported period. 

Open-combustion water heaters and gas heaters were the problem in the majority of cases. 

They were either removed by Tbilisi Energy staff or gas provision was suspended in the apartments where the incorrectly installed devices were found. 

Two Iranian citizens died on Shartava street in Tbilisi’s central Saburtalo district earlier this month allegedly due to a gas leak resulting in carbon monoxide poisoning.

Tbilisi Energy said that an open-combustion water heater was installed in the apartment, the installation of which indoors is prohibited in Georgia.