Search, rescue works “continue intensively” in disaster zone in Georgia’s west following landslide

  • “There is full mobilisation in the disaster zone, and search and other types of work are underway", the Minister told journalists, stressing the main goal of the works was to find the missing people. Photo via Interior Ministry

Agenda.ge, 5 Aug 2023 - 12:18, Tbilisi,Georgia

Georgian Infrastructure Minister Irakli Karseladze on Saturday said the disaster relief works in the western municipality of Oni, after a landslide killed at least 11 in the Shovi resort on Thursday “continued intensively”, including clearing and restoration works.

Karseladze noted a temporary bridge would be installed today in the area, adding since morning police units and rescuers had already been transferred to the most affected area and also, new temporary roads had been cut in order to approach the area from the other side.

There is full mobilisation in the disaster zone, and search and other types of work are underway", the Minister told journalists, stressing the main goal of the works was to find the missing people.

Defence Minister Juansher Burchuladze, along with Karseladze, Health Minister Zurab Azarashvili and  Major General Giorgi Matiashvili, the Chief of the Georgian Defence Forces, got acquainted with the ongoing works in the disaster zone.

A special plan was developed, under which the soldiers of the combat-engineering battalion, who joined the ongoing search and rescue operations on the decision of Prime Minister Irakli Garibashvili, will arrange drawbridges in the area, the Defence Ministry said.

Photo via Defence Ministry

Defence Forces have been actively involved in the ongoing search operations since this morning and have moved to the other side of the river with the special equipment to systematically inspect the area, the Ministry noted.

Back