After more than a year-long closure due to the coronavirus pandemic Georgia has today opened its land borders.
Individuals are admitted through the land borders of Georgia with evidence of full vaccination and negative PCR test results or alternatively only with a negative PCR test result taken within the last 72 hours. A follow up test three days after entry must also be taken.
The same rule applies when crossing sea border of the country.
While crossing the land and sea border of Georgia present the document confirming the full course (two doses, one dose in case of Johnson&Johnson) of any Covid-19 vaccination at the border checkpoints of Georgia, as well as the negative PCR test taken in the last 72 hours prior to the visit to Georgia", says the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Georgia.
In general, citizens of all countries, travelling from any country are able to enter Georgia, except for any individual travelling from India (regardless of citizenship and full course of vaccination) as well as individuals having a history of travel to India for the last 14 days.
They are subject to a negative PCR test conducted in the last 72 hours prior to the visit to Georgia at the border and then a mandatory 14-day quarantine", says the ministry.
Visitors to Georgia are required to have health insurance, which can be acquired either in their countries of residence or in Georgia.
As for travelling by air to Georgia, in this case the travellers are required to present the document confirming the full course (two doses, one dose in case of Johnson&Johnson) of any Covid-19 vaccination at the border checkpoints of Georgia and are allowed to enter the country.
Entry rules for non-vaccinated visitors
- Georgian citizens presenting the negative PCR test conducted within 72 hours prior to the visit, will be subject to either 8-day self-isolation or to the optional PCR examination at their own expense on the third day of their stay in Georgia. If self-isolation is not possible, they will be subject to a mandatory quarantine.
- If Georgian citizens fail to submit the document confirming the PCR examination at the border, they will be placed in self-isolation for eight days, and if self-isolation is not possible, they will be subject to a mandatory quarantine.
Citizens and residence permit holders of the following states may enter Georgia by air, land and sea under the conditions mentioned below:
- European Union Member States
- United States of America
- The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
To enter Georgia, individuals must comply with the following conditions:
- At the border checkpoint of Georgia they must present a PCR-examination certificate conducted in the last 72 hours prior to the travel to Georgia
- On the third day of their stay, they are obliged to undergo PCR-examination at their own expense
- Before crossing the state border, they must complete the special application form, indicating the travel history of the last 14 days, contact details (address, phone number, email etc.) https://registration.gov.ge/pub/form/8_protocol_for_arrivals_in_georgia/tk6157/
- All individuals who have travelled to India within the last 14 days will be placed in a mandatory quarantine for 14 days upon entry at their own expense. In this case, PCR-examination on third day of their stay will be waived
The restrictions on entry to Georgia do not apply to:
- Representatives of the diplomatic missions and international organisations accredited to Georgia and their family members
- Family members of Georgian citizens, despite their nationality
- Individuals arriving in Georgia as part of humanitarian mission
- Individuals who have been granted the status of stateless person by the respective authorities of Georgia
- Individuals holding status-neutral ID card or travel documents
- Individuals having a refugee status in Georgia
- Members of official delegations
- Train and truck drivers, involved in international road traffic, international railway personnel, involved in in the carriage of goods by rail, as well as the members of the aircraft crew
The information about the travel restrictions in Georgia will be updated in two weeks, so if you plan to travel to Georgia check the latest regulation within consular hotlines.