Government program supports Georgian beekeepers

  • Within the program farmers pay 30 percent of a hive’s total cost while the remaining 70 percent is covered by the state. Photo by the Agriculture Ministry Press Office.
Agenda.ge, 6 Mar 2016 - 15:50, Tbilisi,Georgia

Georgian honey is gearing up to enter the European Union (EU) market, and to support this the Government is helping its beekeepers boost production.

Minister of Agriculture Otar Danelia travelled to the country’s west today to give bee hives to local beekeepers in the remote Svaneti and Racha regions.

The Minister said in order to support the beekeeping sector, the Government launched a special program; within the program farmers will pay 30 percent of the total cost of the hive while the remaining 70 percent will be covered by the state.

Danelia said the program would see about 100 agricultural cooperatives across Georgia receive about 7,000 bee hives.

The cooperatives would also receive large vessles for honey and other equipment needed for honey production.

The beekeepers who are involved in the state program were also allowed to check the quality of their product at the Laboratory of the Ministry of Agriculture of Georgia (LMA) for free.

Experts believed Georgian honey had a high chance of making an impression in Europe and become one of Georgia’s leading exported products alongside wine, hazelnuts and blueberries.

Back