Aleksandre Khvtisiashvili, the Deputy Foreign Minister of Georgia, on Monday said about 30 Georgian citizens remained in Sudan amid a violent tussle for power between the country’s military and a paramilitary group, with the Georgian Government working “intensively” with its partners to evacuate them.
Speaking to the media, the official stressed no sides involved in the conflict had taken control of the situation so far, which hampered work for establishing a humanitarian corridor for evacuations.
He noted the Georgian nationals stranded in the north-east African nation had refrained from going out to avoid the clashes that have left close to 100 individuals dead and hundreds injured since Saturday.
We are waiting for the situation to calm down to speak to any sides [about the humanitarian corridor]. At this moment such talks are impossible due to ongoing clashes”, Khvtisiahsvili said.
He also noted his office had been in “close coordination” both with the United Nations and Georgia’s foreign partners to ensure evacuation of the citizens and their “safe return” to the country.
Since the October 2021 coup, Sudan has been run by a council of generals led by two military commanders who have recently had disagreements on the country’s direction and the proposed move towards civilian rule.