27 Dec 2014 - 14:45
World and European champion in judo Avtandil Tchrikishvili was named as the best Georgian sportsman of 2014 at the summery event of the year has held by the Georgia’s Ministry of Sport and Youth.
Tchrikishvili thanked all who contributed for his success.
The Ministry revealed best sportsmen of 2014 in 9 different nominations.
- Judoka Beka Ghviniahsvili -best young sportsman.
- Arm-wrestler Besik Lekishvili -best para –sportsman.
- Sambo wrestler Vakhtang Chidrashvili-best sportsman in non-Olympic sports.
- Edisher Machaidze-best referee.
- National Team in Judo-best team.
- President of Chess Federation Giorgi Giorgadze-best manager.
- Woman Sambo wrestler Nino Odzelashvili-best sportswoman.
- Coach of Georgia’s Judo team Irakli Uznadze-best coach.
- Rugby Union- Federation of the year.
Minister of Economy Giorgi Kvirikashvili won a special nomination for ensuring descent snow base through providing artificial snow machines for Georgia’s ski resort Gudauri in 2014.
The discovery of the year became a rower Zaza Nadiradze. Basketball player Zaza Pachulia got the title of best Legionnaire of the year, while Levan Tediashvili was named as a legend of Georgian sport.
Minister of Sport and Youth Levan Kipiani summed up the year as successful. However, he admitted that various measures should be taken in the future for having better outcomes in sport.