The Georgian Defence Ministry on Sunday issued a statement rejecting the media claim on the misappropriation of budget funds and explaining that the purchase of various items by the Ministry had been carried out under the law.
The statement followed the allegations aired on TV Pirveli channel on Saturday asserting that the Defence Ministry had spent budget funds “improperly” on various items by hiding them from the State Procurement Agency and not uploading the relevant documentation on the Agency’s electronic portal.
The Ministry called the TV channel story “biassed” and said it served to “mislead” the public and “discredit” the state body. As it was once again explained, some purchases had been made for separate official protocol events in accordance with the law, including hosting delegations, official visits abroad, gifts for foreign military personnel and for the “encouragement of successful” servicemembers.
The state body stressed the channel could have “easily” verified information before disseminating it and noted it was a “pity” that the opposition-minded TV Pirveli chose to “broadcast news relevant only to their party agenda”.
On Saturday, Defence Minister Juansher Burchuladze also made comments on the accusations and said the campaign against the Ministry went “beyond all limits”, clarifying that the purchases had been “representation expenses”.