The long-anticipated construction of the Anaklia deep sea port on Georgia’s Black Sea coast will start this year, Prime Minister Irakli Garibashvili announced on Monday.
Making the announcement at the weekly Government meeting, Garibashvili said the Government would hold a 51 percent share in the major infrastructural project, while bidding for the remaining 49 percent would be announced for international investors.
The Government head said the Economy Ministry was working to prepare “relevant procedures”, and added while submissions from investors would be anticipated, the Government would “not wait for them, we will start the work this year”.
He also noted the project for the port was seen as a part of infrastructural works “in all directions”, citing ongoing “active” construction works for roads and highways, as well as airport expansions, across the country.
Following the Government meeting, the Ministry of Economy said it was announcing a call for expressions of interest in the port project, with an interdepartmental commission chaired by Vice Prime Minister and Economy Minister Levan Davitashvili deciding to task the Ministry with “selecting the best investor for the project in a few months, with the involvement of international consultants”.
Simultaneously with running the call for submissions, the Government will update the existing engineering and environmental studies and start “certain construction works” required for the port, the Ministry of Economy said.
Following the authorities’ receipt of expressions of interest, a joint company will be established with the selected investor, with the resulting enterprise “ensuring the raising of funds necessary for the implementation of the project” and facilitating the construction works and beginning of operations of the facility.
The working group and the commission, with the help of international consultants, will assess the applications in a period between one and two months depending on the number of applications, the Ministry also noted.