About 200 restaurants in Georgia plan to resume operations on Saturday, February 6 despite the Covid-19 restrictions, announces the chairman of the Restaurant Association, Shota Burjanadze.
He said that the decision was made today and additional details will be announced tomorrow.
The restaurant business says that it is now fighting for survival and is ready to work under regulations, following safety rules.
Last week they also held a rally in front of the administrative building of the government of Georgia, where about 200 restaurants announced they refused to operate a 24-hour delivery service in protest.
Georgian Economy Minister Natia Turnava said that 'disobedience, violation of the law is unacceptable'.
It will be my request and my hope that such wrong, illegal actions will not complicate the dialogue between us", said Turnava.
Following the plan for the gradual lifting of restrictions of the Interagency Coordinating Council, restaurants and food facilities in Georgia, including hotels, will continue to operate only with a delivery service. The Adjara region is an exception, where from February 1 it is allowed to receive guests in the open spaces of food facilities, however will be closed on weekends to regulate the increased mobility.
If the restaurants do not obey the restrictions and continue their operations they will be fined 10,000 GEL.
Restaurants are closed and have been working on delivery service from November 28.